Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Famous Portraits

Dovima with the Elephants (1955)

I chose this photograph by Richard Avedon because I really like the way he incorporated such a fancy dress with animals. I think that his style is mainly putting things together that don't normally harmonize with each other. The way that he had elephants in this photo along with an outfit that would normally be something one would wear to a fancy event shows this.

New York NY (1967)

I chose this photograph by Arnold Newman because it has such bright and happy colors, yet the man has a rather blank expression on his face. I thought that having two opposite emotions was really interesting. I think that Newman's style is usually sad or bored facial expressions with backgrounds that have some sort of movement or emotion. I like the way that they complement each other.

Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow (no date)

I chose this portrait of Johnny Depp by Annie Leibovitz because of two reasons. One, I like how it is obviously posed and not real, and two, I like Johnny Depp! I like how Leibovitz has Depp just standing their, almost like he doesn't care. I think it's really cool! I think that Leibovitz's style is just be as crazy as you can be. Her portraits are definitely not average, and I think that's what makes them so interesting. Most people expect a normal portrait, plain and boring, but Leibovitz's portraits have the model in bizarre scenarios and costumes. I really like her style!

No comments:

Post a Comment